Commercial paint sprayer? Perhaps you are considering purchasing a paint sprayer, but you have no idea where to start. Whether you are an already experienced painter or you want to start a DIY project, you can learn something from this buying guide before investing in your next commercial paint sprayer.
Features to Consider
Pressure vs Horsepower
Higher pressure spraying machines usually get the job done quicker. However, this consideration is for painters who already know what they are doing. For newbies, consider a weaker stream which is more reliable and predictable so that you can better learn how it works.
Seeing as the paint sprayer is more of an investment, you should choose wisely the brand you settle on, the quality of the material and the level of flexibility the mechanisms afford you when you are looking for new patterns or experimenting with different paints. Remember good machines are not necessarily expensive.
The gallon per minute value determines how much paint you can transfer from the container onto a surface in a minute. Higher transfers mean that you get your job done quicker and vice versa.
Spraying tips are affected both by the type of the sprayer and the kind of paint material you use.
Here are our Top Reviews of the best Pain Sprayers in the Market
Graco is one of the best airless paint spray manufacturers globally; which is why their Graco 17G177 Magnum ProX17 Stand Paint Sprayer is at the top of our list.
The most impressive feature on the commercial standard model is that it can deliver a large capacity of over 300 gallons of paint for large jobs. Such a capability enables you to save on time when undertaking large projects. On top of the large size, the model allows you to paint directly from the paint bucket, and the hose attachment of 50ft will enable you to move around with ease.
- The pressure function is fully adjustable to give you much better control of paint flow and has a maximum pressure of 3000psi.
- The pumping mechanism is capable of spraying paint that hasn’t been thinned evenly and at a controlled pressure.
- The option to spray directly from the bucket is also an added advantage. It takes away the manual labor and events of accidental spillage.
- 300 gallons per year is the recommended annual use.
- A powerful ¾ hp motor and a Power Flush Adapter which connects to a garden hose for fast and easy cleaning.
- The machine is more expensive than other models which can do a similar job.
- It is not capable of spraying hot solvents despite the high price.
Another magnum model from Graco, this paint spray is even better than the X17 model. The sprayer allows the contractor or painter to have full control of the operation. The total control is made possible by the presence of adjustable pressure valves. The machine is, therefore, best in the hands of a professional for better adjustment of both speed and accuracy necessary to make a paint job look good.
The suction hose is also sufficiently long to eliminate fluctuations in the pain flow, even with unthinned paint while still maintaining the speed and pressure.
As an anti-clogging measure, we were also impressed by the switch tip which essentially reverses itself if it becomes clogged at any given time during the job.
- It has a sizeable annual usage of over 500 gallons of paint.
- Has a fully adjustable pressure mechanism with a performance rating of 0.38 gallons per minute which gives you full control of paint flow at any time.
- Has a filtration system to reduce clogged instances and also the switch tip feature which automatically reverses to clear any blockage.
- Supports a hose of up to 150 ft ideal for multi-storied buildings without compromising in the speed and pressure.
- Some models have compromised spraying mechanism or pressure pumps despite the above average cost of the model.
- Only for commercial use purposes and not DIY home projects.
This model is the friendliest for DIY project people and also for beginner painters. However, it is still as carefully designed as the larger commercial models. For instance, it still has adjustable pressure controls. The model also has a piston pump and a moderately powerful motor to keep the speeds and pressure of even unthinned paint constant.
The model is small enough and light at only 5kgs. It also has additional storage compartments so that you can store the detachable parts and any other third party items you use on your paint jobs together with the machine.
- A stainless steel piston pump which has a maximum pressure of 2800 psi. Not bad for a small machine! The pressure allows you to spray unthinned paint at maximum pressure.
- The suction tube design is compatible to spray directly from 1 to 5-gallon size buckets. This even makes the cleaning job more manageable.
- The small size and nature allow the painting gadget to be travel and storage friendly.
- The small annual capacity is not recommended for commercial painting. It is more for personal and home use only.
- It only supports a maximum hose length of 50 feet. Even if it is for home use, large houses may be at a disadvantage if this length isn’t sufficient for hard-to-reach places.
The model one of the most powerful of the Graco products line up. This is a commercial product so while the price is a bit high, it is a worthy investment. It has a one full horsepower motor which delivers spraying speeds of up to 0.47 gallons a minute. This incredible speeds will have you completing your projects in no time provided you have sufficient experience, and you already know what to do.
Also, you can attach a hose with lengths of up to 200 feet while still enjoying the full power of the machine. Unlike all the other models, the Graco 17C305 Pro210ES Cart Pro Connect Paint Sprayer is capable of spraying hot solvents just in case you ever need to complete such a task.
- The pump has a replacement pump, just in case, which is easily replaceable in only four steps.
- The motor and build ensure you can spray even acrylic and heavy latex.
- The heavy-duty machine has a considerably large recommended annual usage of up to 1500 gallons.
- For a professional looking to make an initial investment, the price is high.
- The machine is also very heavy so it can be laborious to move around especially in construction sites.
The Titan Airless Sprayer can use multiple materials and is best suited for short jobs. It is lightweight, weighing only 25 pounds. To prevent clogging the machine also has a reversible 415 tip. It’s spraying speeds are 0.25 gallons a minute, and while they are not the fastest in the market, they are sufficient for quick jobs.
The machine stands on rubber stoppers which are ideal to avoid messy swirls or accidental spills. The utility also has a rubber grip enhanced handle to make carrying safer and more manageable.
While it is not the most wowing paint sprayer on the market, it gets the job done and fast. It is easy to use even for a newbie and easy to clean too in the aftermath of the work.
- It is equipped with the latest and high-efficiency airless technology. This saves on oversprays by up to 50% which is more cost efficient in the long run.
- The ½ horsepower motor is capable of driving pressures to a maximum of 2500 psi. it means the machine can adequately cover about 200 square feet in a minute in the hands of a professional.
- For professionals, the horsepower may be too little.
- May sometimes insufficiently sprays thick unthinned paint.
The next Titan paint sprayer is more of a DIY suitable machine. A homeowner or hobbyist will be happier with the Titan ControlMax 1700 Pro Sprayer’s performance more than a professional painter would be. While it can handle 300 gallons per year, we recommend you use it for simpler jobs rather than whole house paintings.
The electric pump is very quiet, unlike commercial grade painters. This is another reason it is more neighborhood friendly. The mad Titan can handle a 100-foot hose comfortably and sprays with sufficient pressure through a 0.017-inch tip.
- Decreases overspray up to 55 percent like it is designed to with HEA technology.
- The pressure is a soft spray which gives a newbie better control and gives a consistent finish.
- The pump has been measured against other pumps, and it lasts up to three times longer.
- Has an annual gallon usage of 300 gallons which is quite impressive considering it’s recommended use.
- Due to it’s manufacturing specifications, the machine can only handle industrial jobs at an average performance, and if you push it the finishing will be below average.
- It is better for smaller jobs like painting items rather than walls and other building locations.
Fuji manufactures some of the best spray painters in the market and this is no exception. This model is perfect for common professional use. The spray gun is bleed-proof courtesy of the air cap set. Unlike most painters, the Fuji 2202 Semi-Pro spray system offers the painter full control of the pattern, fan control.
For the pressure system to work at optimum, make sure you thin your solution well. The packaging also includes a bottom feed cup. Also, the metal turbine case has a handy gun holder. The 1400-watt bypass motor works best with a hose with maximum lengths at 25-foot. It is also two staged for you to get the job done.
- Professional spray gun with an adjustable pattern fan control.
- An air cap set installed to prevent bleeding while in use.
- 1 Quart. Bottom Feed Cup
- The metal turbine case has a handy gun holder which helps when you take breaks during the job.
- 25ft Hose which maintains sufficient pressure for even applications.
- You cannot use the machine to apply thicker paints and also, you have to transfer the paint material after thinning which makes working with the painter a bit messy.
- The nozzle does not have anti-clogging measures. Coupled with the inability to pump thick fluids, it may tend to clog up.
The model provides a more professional job than the previous product. However it is more expensive, but it is worth the money. The painting spray machine has a dedicated side pattern control knob, and the nozzle is created in a way where you can spray most preferred coatings. Like the former Fuji product, you can also adjust the size of fan pattern to your desired size with the dedicated control knob.
The model is easy to transport and move around. Also, during the job the non-bleed gravity spray gun makes the job more comfortable even if it’s in use for extended periods of time. In the packaging, you’ll also receive a 25-foot Hi-Flex hose compatible with the pressure parameters of the Fuji 2803-T75G, a viscosity cup, cleaning brush, wrench, and a user manual.
- Non-bleed lightweight Gravity Spray Gun with Ergonomic Stay-Cool handle
- Patented quiet Turbine featuring The Heat Dissipation Box
- Portable and easy to transport.
- The machine has no anti-clogging feature so you will need to watch the thinness of the paint to avoid setbacks.
The Fuji 2895-T75G Q5 Platinum spray system is the best and most professional spraying equipment in the Fuji line. It also incorporates the patented quiet technology included in the motor. The powerful 5-stage turbine produces 9.5 PSI, and also has a variable speed control dial. As a professional, this is important when you need to contour certain areas when you are painting. The machine also has a Heat Dissipation box which promotes durability of the already high-quality product.
The machine still allows you, like their other products, to control the fan pattern through the convenient control knob. The additional 5-for-5 Bonus Kit with Fuji spray systems have the 6-foot Whip Hose, an addition to the 25-foot hose already in the package, wet film gauge, 19-piece Spray Gun Cleaning and Maintenance Kit with Lubricant, Extra Turbine Filter and their “Always Measure” Booklet.
- The motor is powerful allowing for better spraying of thicker paints. The engine also runs a five-stage turbine, and the motor speeds are adjustable.
- A patented quiet turbine which is great for use in occupied areas and the Heat Dissipation Chamber makes the product more durable.
- An adjustable pattern control knob to adjust the size of the fan pattern from small to large.
- Even if this machine is the best in the line, it still doesn’t have an anti-clogging measure.
The turbine of this Fuji Spray system is of high volume and low pressure, best designed for small residential-type jobs. The machine is extremely light at just 2 pounds. It is safe to say that the Fuji spray is not suited for commercial jobs. It is not susceptible to air and paint leaks, and the pre-installed air-cap facilitates this feature. The mechanism also makes it less prone to oversprays which may ruin a multi-colored job.
Even if it is small, the design allows for the signature pattern control knob which makes it easier to shift from one spray pattern size to another. It is easy to clean and maintain due to the manufacturing materials. The gun is ideal for paint jobs on vehicles, wood, and furniture.
- A signature convenient side pattern control knob to adjust the size of fan pattern from small to large
- A bleed-proof spray gun for less contamination.
- A stay-cool nylon handle which makes it comfortable to work with over long periods of time.
- 100% stainless steel components.
- The gun is not suitable for large projects
- Cannot be used with a compressor.
Although we have no reviewed Tekna products, the 703517 Prolite spray gun is worth a mention. It is suitable to use in any climate and can accommodate both waterborne and solvent-based coatings. The small paint gun is portable and weighs only two pounds. The paint gun also incorporates the use of disposable gun cups. For durability and protection against corrosion, the paint gun has a protective coating covering both the internal and external sensitive areas. This paint sprayer has built-in air caps that were designed through cutting-edge fluid dynamics technology. The three caps ensure superior atomization. Such a characteristic makes the gun more expensive than similar models without the capability.
- It has an included DeKups adapter which makes the gun DeKups ready.
- Mechanics with optimized performance in varying climates.
- Three air caps developed using advanced fluid dynamics technology for excellent atomization.
- An all-in-one solution with multiple components.
- The gun does not spray latex paint well. It is prone to clogging and uneven distribution.
- For such a small spraying mechanism, it is quite expensive to purchase for only home use, while at the same time it might not be sufficient for professional use.
Best ways to use a Commercial Paint Sprayer
Prime the pump
Before you can start painting, first you must prime the pump. To do this, simply place the smaller prime tube in a waste pail and the suction tube in the bucket of strained paint. Second, switch on the pump and turn the pressure valve up until the pump starts. When the paint material starts flowing from the prime tube, move the tube back into the paint bucket.
Fill the hose and gun.
Hold the gun over the waste bucket and pull the trigger. Only let go of the trigger when painting substance is flowing in a steady stream from the gun. When you have verified the hose and gun are filled, lock the trigger.
Pressure relief steps
First, turn off the power switch then turn the spray to prime. Second, aim the gun against the side of the waste pail and pull the trigger to release the pressure then engage the trigger lock.
Choose the Best Tip for the Job
Spray tips are labeled with three-digit numbers. Doubling the first digit gives you the spray fan width with the gun held 12 inches from the painting surface. The next two numerals indicate the size of the hole in thousandths of an inch. Choose a smaller diameter hole for thin liquids like stain or varnish and vice versa, larger holes for thicker liquids.
Adjust the pressure
Too little pressure will result in an uneven spray pattern while too much pressure causes an overspray.
Check out our other great product reviews.